Thursday, February 05, 2009

What the? how did they!?.. まったく関係ねえ~!!

In your Kanji studies, have you ever come across those examples of how Kanji evolved from ideographs? Usually they are in the introductory chapters of Kanji books, and usually they show the evolution in three steps starting with a simple sketch of the object and ending the the kanji.

Do you know what I'm talking about?

Did you ever get the reaction that the relationship between the three steps didn't make sense or was too exaggerated?

Well, I did, big time. It all felt kind of silly to me and I couldn't help but make fun of the whole thing...
(click to enlarge)
the scenery on the bottom left corner is N-sensei's drawing.
下の左の景色はN先生の絵だ(ハイジかな?)

3 comments:

Amani AbuQdais أماني أبوقديس said...

Well I think that a few convincing examples are enough as a start for kanji learners.
Keeping this "picture->kanji" approach wont be effective as kanji becomes more complex.
How each kanji is encoded into the mind differs from person to another.

Saemon 左衛門 said...

Even the early examples, many of them seemed preposterous to me.

I think they should make it 4 or 5 steps not three.

But I think it is impossible to keep the "ideograph->kanji" thing when kanjis become more complex, because complex kanjis are made of simpler ones as radicals.
Only the simpler ones need development examples.

But even those many times are exaggerated or ill-represented in my opinion.

Don't take this post too seriously, I just wanted to share a drawing I did 2 years ago.

I think people who share my opinion about the kanji evolution examples will find it hilarious!

Anonymous said...

サーメルさんのイラスト、最高です!
上手ですね!
please keep enjoying learning KANJI!

K-s